Wednesday, June 03, 2009

End Of The Road

I guess I shall called this year's French Open a wrap. For me at least. Yesterday, Maria Sharapova lost 6-0, 6-2 and it could have been worse have she not save 4 match points before going down. Her opponent, Dominika Chibulkova was on the brink of winning 6-0 6-0 when she was leading 5-0 in the second set. She was also serving but Maria saved a match point before breaking her, making it 5-1. Then Maria held served. 5-2. Dominika then served again and lost another 3 match points. However, her fifth proved to be too much for Maria as the Russian finally bowed out. This is a sad end but to be honest if Maria were to go to the next round and face Dinara Safina, she would have lost anyway. There is no way she could defeat her, just coming back from a long spell of injury and I guess her thigh was strained as she did not move as fast as she did. However, to many fans of Maria Sharapova, I think her incredible run to the quarters is already a good sign after not playing for 10 months. I will be looking forward to see her play in the Wimbledon next month, the Grand Slam she won when she was only 17.

No comments: