Friday, January 16, 2009

"She Is Taller Than Me?" Or "She Is Taller Than I Am?"

Fear was yet again instilled in last night's English class and I really couldn't stop cursing my bloody English lecturer. And I also believe that students with a Band 5 and especially Band 6 (MUET - Malaysian University English Test) should be exempted from taking this class. If not, why the hell did we take it for besides it being one of the requirements to gain entry into universities? Geez.. This is purely a torture.

Anyhow, regarding my peculiar title, my lecturer keeps insisting that the latter is right and the former is indeed wrong and that we have been taught wrongly since forever! Lol. But I have looked up in the internet and both are right! Plus, I don't seriously believe that all of my previous English teachers were wrong! I have at least 9 of them before this bloody one and all of them can't possibly be wrong, can they?

In addition, this is my first prove.
Both "You are taller than me" and "You are taller than I am" are correct.
In the first case, me takes the objective form after the preposition than.
In the second case, we assume that than is a conjunction and therefore 'I am' is in the similar form as 'you are'.

Second prove is from the Microsoft system. Microsoft Word does not think that "She is taller than me" is wrong. I know it is just a software but it is being used by billions around the world and it can't be making silly errors right?

To me, both are right. Just that the latter sounds more formal. -Sigh-

Ok. I think I had better leave it there or I will curse her even more.

Also, yesterday I think I was cursed by a number of my friends. It is yet again regarding forming groups. This time for my bloody English class. And as much as my friends would like for CraBp and I to go in separate groups (we are 2 of the 3 English masters in class), we did not. They would like for me to stick with the 'downstairs' team and for CraBp to fan for the 'upstairs' team. But I defied them by just ditching all of them and joining the 'upstairs' team, which includes CraBp. So my roommate is disappointed with me. Can't say much here as she pretty much depends on me a lot. Found that out last semester and I basically couldn't care less anymore. And the rest of the 'downstairs' team just kinda think I have betrayed them but at least they are still in talking terms with me unlike my roommate. But who cares? I mean it is not like they own me and my English right? And I have very strong reasons to have taken this road. CraBp would understand, don't you now? Lol. And the only person that I am sorry to in all these crap is CraBp. Sorry if these 'downstairs' people start to curse you also.

Right. Now I will seriously stop talking about my English class.

On a brighter note, a friend of mine is gonna treat me today. That is something to look forward to right? Lol. So until then, I am just gonna crap some more stuffs on here. Lol. Till then, have a nice day, people. Oh yeah, if anyone is wondering why I woke up so early today, it is thanks to my roommate. She kinda made a hell of a noise before leaving for her hometown. -Sigh-

No comments: